“Walmart sustainable packaging”
Sustainable Packaging Playbook – Walmart
Zero Plastic Waste
1. Use less plastic
- Develop viable solutions to single-use products.
- Reduce or eliminate use of PVC in packaging
2. Recycle More
- Commit to 100% recyclable, reusable, or industrially-compostable packaging in all Walmart’s own Private Brands by 2025.
- Target at least 20% post-consumer recycled content in Private Brand packaging by 2025.
- Educate and inspire consumers to recycle.
Walmart’s Sustainable Packaging Playbook focus on three main aspects:
Eliminate unnecessary packaging, such as extra boxes, ties, or layers of packaging; Design the size of the packaging appropriately so as to prevent damage to the product.
Increase the use of recycled and renewable content; remove/reduce/restrict use of materials that may present human health & environmental toxicity risks. Material with FSC certification is preferred to be used in accordance with Walmart’s corporate commitment to zero net deforestation.
Increase the use of recyclable content; Work to improve infrastructure for hard-to-recycle materials, such as PVC; Use consumer-friendly recycling Label, such as SPC’s How2Recycle Label.
What Walmart do?
|Paper Packaging||Plastic Packaging|
For Walmart, sustainable packaging is the concept of a “circular economy”. Therefore, it set up some goals to develop its private brands.
- Seek to achieve 100 percent recyclable, reusable or industrially compostable packaging for its private brand packaging by 2025.
- Target at least 20 percent post-consumer recycled content in private brand packaging by 2025.
- Label 100 percent of food and consumable private brand packaging with the How2Recycle® label by 2022.
- Work with suppliers to eliminate the non-recyclable packaging material PVC in general merchandise packaging by 2020.
- Reduce private brand plastic packaging when possible, optimizing the use to meet the need.
What we learn is that the product packaging will continue to take “sustainability” and “environmental protection” as the core for development. For all suppliers, how to face this challenge is not only an important task to figure out, but also a match point to survive.